Wednesday, March 12, 2008

A Tizzle-topped Tufted Mazurka (from Yerka)

I know, what a mouthful of a title! Thank Dr. Seuss for that one. I think it must be his birthday or something, because Alex's class has been studying Dr. Seuss for several weeks now. They're even eating green eggs and ham next week. I know it's just regular ham and eggs with food coloring, but - ick! Some things are just better left undone. :) Well, this is Alex's Dr. Seuss project. Each student picked a Dr. Seuss book and could pick anything they wanted to do for a project. It could be something as simple as drawing a picture. Alex's book was If I Ran the Zoo, and he chose to make this -- of course. Why draw a picture when you can make your very own Tizzle-topped Tufted Mazurka! Now Caleb wants one too. Anyway, this whole experience has made me discover something about myself. I am one of THOSE mothers. I had always promised myself I wouldn't be, but it turns out I am. You know the mothers I'm talking about - the ones that when their child's project comes due, doesn't let the child do it on his own level, but wants to do it herself so it will be done perfectly, even to the point of not letting the child help. My wonderful Alex would have none of it though. He constantly got onto me and made sure he was working on it. I kept having to bite my tongue. "No Alex," I would say, "just let me do it." AAARGGHHH! I can't believe I turned out to be one of THOSE mothers! When he was in Kindergarten, I would visit the school and see the elementary school projects that I knew were probably never even touched by little hands. It must be some sort of mom disease. :) So, all of you friends of mine whose children aren't in school yet - I know you think you'll never be one of THOSE mothers, but you just wait and see.

5 comments:

Andy and Jen said...

I just had to add that Alex did do the majority of the work on this project. I'm so proud!

heather said...

He did such a good job! It's so hard to let them do it themselves. I'm one of those mothers too. It gets harder when they are Lexie's age and writing papers and you just want to do it for them. :)

anthonyandbeth said...

i have to confess, i'm one of those mothers too and i have to try very hard not to butt in! :) it's so much cuter when they do it though! :)

Tammy said...

Alex,
I am so proud of you. You did an excellent job on your project! I can't wait to see it in person.

Anonymous said...

I love it! Alex did such a great job! He is so big!! I can't believe it!
I am coming back to VA for the 4th of July, can't wait to see everyone! Miss you all so much!